Accidents happen; it’s part of life. But if you are injured because of someone else’s negligence, you have the right to seek compensation for your pain and suffering and also for any expenses that you incur such as lost wages and medical bills. If you are injured in an accident or because of the negligence of someone else, there are some important steps that you should take:
- If possible, get as much information about the person responsible for the accident.
- If you are in a car accident, get the driver’s name, address, car tag and driver’s license information as well as their insurance information.
- If you fall on someone’s property, try to get the address and the name of the owner
- Call the police if appropriate.
- Get medical treatment
- Keep all paperwork that you are given
In addition to these steps, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible. There are strict time periods, called a statute of limitations, within which you must file your claim.
If you have been injured in an accident, I would be glad to meet with to discuss your case and to aggressively pursue all claims that you have. I will work to make sure that you receive all of the benefits to which you are entitled, as well as full compensation for your injuries.
Injuries at Work – If you are injured or become disabled because of work, your claim will be covered under the Workers Compensation Act. Under this law, an employee is generally prohibited from suing the employer for injuries sustained in an on the job accident. Instead, you are entitled to receive coverage for your medical bills and wages if you have to miss work.
Under the Workers Compensation Act, you are entitled to the following benefits:
- Payment of medical bills
- Vocational rehabilitation
- Temporary partial disability
- Partial Permanent Disability
- Total Disability
- Death Benefits
If you are injured at work, it is very important that you notify your employer immediately. You will be asked to fill out a claim form. Make sure you get a copy of the completed form after it is signed by your employer. You will then be required to initially go to a doctor that you pick from a list that is provided by your employer.
I would be glad to meet with you to discuss your case and make sure that your rights are protected and that you get all that you are entitled to. Please contact me.